The society began in 1822 from a petition on behalf of the 'Methodist Society of Colliers in the Forest of Dean' who described the change in men who had come to know God from 'lawless heathen' to men who feared God. The present Church was opened in 1849 as a Wesleyan Church, but kept as the property of Mr Aaron Gould; colliery owner, who provided and paid for a resident preacher. The chapel was described as 'the most beautiful building in Cinderford'. Problems led to its closure in 1873 but it was reopened on the Wesleyan Trust in 1881. It is unusual for a Methodist Church in that it has a number of stained glass windows in memory of various members of local families who supported the church with depictions of some of their interests as well as local scenes. In 2004 Wesley Methodist Church was joined by the Church Road Methodists to become Cinderford Methodist Church. A complete refurbishment of the interior was completed in 2014 which has enhanced not only worship but our ability to reach out to people in the community.
A variety of activities take place including toddler groups, study groups, friendship groups, coffee mornings, fish, chips and quiz nights and Messy Church as well as dance fitness, and uniformed groups (Rainbows, Brownies, Guides).